7.03.2012

The Lucky One

As we traveled out of the states into many worlds unknown, we were anticipating the excitement that vacation would bring for the next week. No cell phones, no internet, no e-mails, no laundry, no cooking, and NO DISHES!! Hallelujah!

It was going to be pure freedom for one whole week.

But as the days went on and conversations with the cruise employees built, I began to feel selfish at the fact that I was in a position to have the luxury on being waited on. Don't get me wrong, it was really nice. But at the same time these people left their families to work their tails off, probably making very little money, living in the bottom of a ship, and tending to needy Americans' wants.

I realized that I was the lucky one. Born into a world of freedom and luxuries that I take for granted every day. I began feeling guilty that someone else was making up my bed. I even felt guilty using the toilet in front of a Haitian that probably had no toilet in her home.

I enjoyed hearing their stories of their family, their food, their home.

It was a wonderful vacation where I saw different cultures, zip-lined across the jungle, climbed a waterfall, swam with dolphins and stingrays, and enjoyed my family.

More importantly it was humble experience bringing me appreciation for all the blessings that have been bestowed upon me.

Haiti
The Miami skyline in the sunset.
 A contented mind is the greatest blessing a man can enjoy in this world. -Joseph Addison

I am working on having a contented mind.

1 comment:

melissa said...

It's amazing the things god uses to change our perspective when our hearts are ready. Love the photos! I want to hear more about this zip lining!