6.13.2012

diy- attire details

I was lucky enough to find the dress of my dreams. It came at a little more than I was hoping to spend, but less than I budgeted.

I wanted a dress with straps. No beads. Light and airy.  When I came across it online at Saja Wedding, I knew it was the one. The only thing was that the closet store that carried it was in NYC. Luckily for me, two of my best friends along with myself had just booked a trip a few months from then!!!

I scheduled an appointment ASAP. When we arrived, they had the whole line of dresses in my size laid out for me to try on. I saved the one I loved for last. My best friend, Chels, is one of those people that get me. (If you know what I mean.) While trying them on, she was having a hard time deciding, but when I came out with the one, we all knew it! I had that AHA moment.

It was the dress with straps, no beads, and it was light and airy. My checklist was complete. I opted for the satin sash because it added an element of elegance to the dress.

When it came to deciding the details such as the veil, jewelry, shoes, etc. I also wanted simple yet elegant. I originally did not want a veil. Then I decided maybe a cathedral veil because it would have went with the church. After researching prices, I quickly decided making my veil would be the best option. My first attempt was a cathedral veil with raw edges. I used a tutorial on YouTube and it was super easy! But the cathedral veil wasn't doing it for me, so I revamped it into a double layer veil. While I have known people to pay $200 for veils...all in all $7 was invested with the tulle and barrette. You certainly can't bet that at any store.

So, if you are a bride that doesn't have to have the fancy schmancy veil then diy it!!
Photo Credit: Revival Photography
Photo Credit: Revival Photography
I later changed into this feather piece for the reception. Feathers are more my style!
Photo Credit: Revival Photography
The other thing that I diy-ed was my garter. I bought some stretchy lace trim at the local Hobby Lobby, measured it against my thigh, cut, sewed it together, added a flower, and some feathers!
Photo Credit: Revival Photography
I chose simple earrings from J. Crew. With the neckline of my dress, I decided not to wear a necklace. If your dress is strapless then I would suggest a necklace so it doesn't look bare and draws the eyes up!

No comments: