5.22.2012

diy-wedding page

Did you notice my diy-wedding page at the top of my blog???

As wedding season approaches, I am sure there are several brides stressing over the cost of their big day. Over the next couple of weeks, I am hoping to give some of you tips for lowering the cost of your wedding by doing some things yourself!

The average cost of a US wedding without the honeymoon ranges from $19,000-$32,000.
And if you are anything like me, that is way over budget and a little absurd.

Even though your wedding is supposed to be the day of your life, there will be some sacrifices you will probably have to make in order to reach your budget. Let's be real people. NOT everyone has a money tree.

The first thing is that you need to decide what is important to you as a bride. What are the things you don't want to budge on? Is the ceremony important or the reception? Would you rather have a small wedding, but a nice honeymoon? Do you have to get the best photographer and the most expensive dress? Is music and alcohol a must, or can you do without?

You also need to have an idea of what look you are going for. Is it modern fun, traditional love, beachy vows, or vintage vibe?

Before I began my actual planning, I had scoured the wedding blog world. Green Wedding Shoes and 100 Layer Cake were two of my favorite. I suggest looking at various sites to help with ideas. Plus you can get some great tips. And if your like me, you might even come across your wedding dress, but that is another post.

During your planning you will acquire a slew of wedding magazines. I suggest The Knot, Martha Stewart Wedding, and Southern Weddings. These are great magazines with real weddings. The others I have found have a lot of advertisements.

After you have narrowed down your ideas, the search begins. You will need to look for a venue, photographers, videographer, food, wedding attire, decorations, etc. Depending on your location, your options may be limited so start early!

So... decide now the budget, the look, the splurges, and where to save $$.

 Happy Wedding Planning y'all!

No comments: