3.30.2012

the million $ question

The other day I was perusing the internet for potential front door colors when I stumbled across this blog  Young House Love.  While reading, my heart immediately pounded with excitement at the opportunities this couple has had all from out of the blue.

To give you the shortened version: This young newlywed couple bought their first home. It was an average home for this neck of the woods (Roanoke, VA.) but a good fixer upper. They saw great potential, and they immediately set to work with DIY renovations! It took them four years to complete the house the way they wanted it. They blogged about their experience along the way. Soon they found themselves being asked to write a book, write a regular column in Better Homes and Gardens, made an HGTV appearance, and went on the Nate Berkus Show. Now, they are full-time bloggers, stay at home parents, and homeowners to a new fixer upper!
Seriously people? Talk about luck! What a great opportunity for this young couple. To make a living out of something they are passionate about, both work out of their home, both being able to raise their child together, and make enough money to live off of.

This is my dream job (other than the Anthropologie Creative Art Director)! To fix up, to renovate, to revitalize, and to inspire. This blog proved to me that it can be done, but is it practical for everyone?

So, the million dollar question is...do you follow your heart or your head?

We all want to follow our heart, but we have all  seen that get us into trouble one time or another. But then again, if we choose to follow our head, will we regret not choosing to follow to our heart? And there are always those "haters". You know, the people that can't simply understand why we would choose our heart. Maybe... it's because they don't have one. ;)

We've all heard, "Where there's a will, there's a way". Well, I have the will. I have had will for a long time and made things happen; made a life for myself, graduated college, joined the professional community, married a wonderful man. Granted, I didn't do this all on my own. Through many prayers, God placed the right people in my life at the right time. And with their support I was able to accomplish some things many thought wasn't possible coming from my position. But it was only possible through their encouragement. It was easier to believe in myself when others believed in me first.

So, which do you choose? Your heart or you head?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both there is always some sort of happy medium when one starts to out balance the other you have your answer

melissa said...

For me it's been a mixture of both. I'm typically reasonable and logical in life. I'm not a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of girl. I need plans. I need the promise of security. But in my recent move from full-time employment outside of the home to being a stay at home mom i would say I was more in the follow your heart mode. It was scary to leave my career and a secure income but I have absolutely no regrets. This is my place. This is where I belong. So maybe it's a lesson for me to go with my heart a little more often. Who knows?!
Love you sweet friend!!