12.06.2011

the art of marriage

My most treasured wedding present wasn't one that I registered for or even expected. It was a small gift from a sweet lady at Brandon's church. A gift that had more meaning than she will ever know. It is strategically placed in our bathroom as a daily reminder of the commitment that we made. Plus, it matched perfectly with the color scheme and was the right size to fit above the toilet.
I believe the most crucial years of anyone's life is the phase from teenage years to adult years. This is a time when parents need to be the most active, and they (as parents) would probably agree, it is the most difficult time of their lives. It is a time when children are figuring out their place in the world and making the decisions to discover who they truly are. Yes, they do fail. Yes, they do make mistakes. Yes, they will make poor choices that may affect them for the rest of their lives. BUT I feel it is the parents' job to be there. They should be the ones to pick them up and tell them to dust it off and keep going. Brandon was this "parent" to me.

Brandon and I began dating seven years ago. So we were both in our peak adolescent phase figuring out our place and making naive choices along the way. We struggled for many years as we transitioned into college and then separated to attend different colleges. Most of our relationship was long distance making it even harder on us. Through it all, we have managed to remain true to one another; helping and supporting throughout some of our toughest decisions. There were times when we failed the other. There were times when we questioned too much, but I ultimately knew that he was my biggest advocate. And I hope he felt the same.

I believe in my heart of hearts that going through that stage of our lives together, we have formed a bond that others might not have. We have learned to rely on trust, honesty, and forgiveness.

Having been married for SIX whopping months now, I have to say it has been the best six months of our relationship. I know what you are thinking... we are in the "honeymoon" phase. But I am not naive to the fact that things will get tougher. Children, jobs, and family will complicate things.

As the art of marriage goes it is not only marrying the right person. It is being the right person. We can only control our actions. And I am hoping that I can continue to be the wife that he needs.

1 comment:

melissa said...

Being the right person

I love that l! Great wisdom from such a young mind. You will never go wrong if you always seek to love an respect him and be what he needs. I love you guys and I love the love you share with one another.